“Green Hotels” is an ongoing series that profiles certified lodging members of the Sonoma Green Business Program. These hotels, B&Bs, inns, and other accommodations undergo a rigorous accreditation process to ensure that they take action to conserve resources, minimize waste, comply with environmental regulations, prevent pollution and reduce their carbon footprint. Past Green Hotels profiled in this column have been The Case Ranch Inn (Forestville) and MacArthur Place (Sonoma).
Today we’re taking a look at a much larger hotel with a highly-recognizable corporate name, The Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma Hotel (Petaluma).
A certified Bay Area Green Business since 2009, Sheraton Sonoma County has undertaken numerous Green initiatives. Among them:
- An efficient irrigation system utilizes low flow sprinkler heads on a time in all landscaped areas.
- Guests get to choose going Green by deciding how often their linens and towels should be laundered. This helps to reduce the use of energy, chlorine, detergent and water.
- Recycling on property includes paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, cooking oil, and batteries.
- Recycled paper accounts for 30 percent of paper used on property.
- Thermostats with motion sensors adjusts temperature to conserve energy when guests are not in the room.
- Off-peak time temperature setbacks are used on boilers to conserve energy.
- Energy efficient lighting is used throughout the hotel.
- Motion sensors on vending machines turn off cooling when foot traffic is low.
And all this environmental sensibility is wrapped in handsome, conveniently-located surroundings. Perched on the banks of the Petaluma River and overlooking the Marina, the Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma Hotel has the look and feel of a relaxed waterfront resort – yet it’s close to downtown Petaluma, with its turn-of-the-century architecture, art galleries, fine restaurants, and boutiques.
It’s also a mere hour from one of the nation’s most exciting cities: San Francisco. No wonder it was named by Travel & Leisure Magazine as one of the nation’s “Top 10 Getaways Near a Major City.”
Among many amenities, this pet-friendly hotel offers an outdoor whirlpool and heated lap pool, a fitness facility, complimentary Internet access in all guest rooms, a daily social hour, and dining in-house at award-winning Tolay Restaurant.